Spring Lawn Maintenance Tips
Spring is the season of growth, renewal, and repair. Below are some homeowner landscaping tips that will help your lawn look great and assist in maintaining its property value.
As the landscaping comes back to life, take note of these spring landscaping tips:
- Rake your lawn to eliminate fallen leaves, branches and other debris.
- Detail and manicure your gardens and mow your lawn regularly to help them look their best.
- Fertilize lawn areas to green-up the lawn and to aid in preventive care for crabgrass and broad-leaf weed control. Fungus and grub control treatments may be needed for some difficult lawns.
- Regrow browning lawn areas with lawn seeding, lime, core aeration, or de-thatching.
- Edge ornamental beds and add pine straw or natural colored mulch to enhance its appearance and improve the garden’s soil and environment.
- Add some new plants to pots or hanging baskets to help accent your property
- Sweep and remove sand and dirt from walks and driveways.
- Prune damaged trees, bushes and shrubs that are on your property. This pertains to trees that are located between the sidewalk and your home. Please remember that the pruning of “street trees” which are the trees that are located between the curb and the sidewalk, should not be pruned by the homeowner as this pruning needs to first be submitted to and then approved by the Park & Tree Administrator of the Urban Forestry Division at the City of Charleston Department of Parks.
These are just a few of the ways that you can help enhance the curb appeal of your home. There are other affordable things that can be done that require minimum effort and little investment.