What is the Architectural Review Board (ARB)?
The goal of the Daniel Island Architectural Review Board (ARB) is to make sure that architectural design guidelines and covenants are followed in a manner that protects and maintains appropriate community appeal and allows this community to develop in an orderly and cohesive manner within the development’s comprehensive Master Plan. The ARB reviews all requests to modify or change the exterior of all properties and/or structures to ensure the proposed modifications meet the applicable design guidelines and standards for each association. A copy of the design guidelines for each community can be found on the POA website under the ARB tab HERE.
What type of modifications needs to be approved by the ARB?
The list below includes many examples of modifications that are required to be submitted to the ARB for review prior to the start of the project:
- Additions or Major Exterior Alterations
- Minor Exterior Alterations (Hurricane protection, shutters, garage doors, new stairs, etc..)
- Solar Panels
- Pools or Spas
- Docks or Bulkheads
- Fences, Walls, or Enclosures
- Exterior Color or Material Modifications
- Major or Minor Landscape Modifications and Tree Removals
Please feel free to contact ARB staff if you have any questions regarding modifications to your property and if approval from the ARB would be required.
Where do I submit my modification application and when will I receive a response?
The modification application can be found on our website under the ARB tab HERE.
Please submit the completed modification application and any required plans or documents to ARB staff via email. (Or you may mail the application and documents to the ARB staff in the POA Office at 130 River Landing Drive, Suite 1C.) Once received, the ARB will contact the applicant to request the required review fee payment, to be completed online. Review fee information is listed in the modification application found on our website. Reviews can take up to 7-10 business days once all requested information is received. The ARB will send an official review letter to the applicant via email.
The ARB staff has employed a hybrid staffing model working both in the office and remotely. Please contact an ARB staff member to set up an in-person appointment or schedule a call for assistance. They can be reached via phone or email during business hours (Monday-Friday from 8:30 AM until 4:30 PM).
ARB Staff Contact Information:
- Mary Stuart Sutton, ARB Administrator, email@example.com
- Carson Jackson, ARB Associate, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lisa Avant, Resident Services & Special Projects Manager, email@example.com
2019 and 2020 ARB Review Statistics:
- Number of Reviews in 2019
- New Construction Reviews: 327
- Modifications Reviews: 713
- 2019 DI ARB Total Reviews: 1,040
- Number of Reviews in 2020
- New Construction Reviews: 309
- Modifications Reviews: 933
- 2020 DI ARB Total Reviews: 1,342
- Number of Reviews in 2021 – will be included at year’s end.