Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

News and Announcements

City of Charleston Streets & Sidewalks Division

February 24, 2023

As you can imagine, there are many miles of sidewalks and streets that the City of Charleston is responsible for maintaining on Daniel Island. Below is some information about this City department, what services they provide, and how you can contact them when you have a question, concern, or need to report a problem.

The City of Charleston Streets and Sidewalks Division performs routine maintenance on streets and sidewalks within the city limits. This division may also assist the South Carolina Department of Transportation by making repairs to its rights of way when requested by the state or when special materials and construction techniques are required.

This division has four crews that repair sidewalks and construct curb cuts for wheelchair accessibility. One of the crews specializes in the repair of brick, bluestone, and other unique materials that occur within the city. This division also addresses sidewalks that are of safety or hazardous condition due to uneven or buckling via shaving down or replacing panels when required.

The Street & Sidewalks department also has an asphalt crew that operates an asphalt patch truck. This crew is responsible for patching and repairing minor potholes on city streets and is also capable of resurfacing small areas. Funding for street resurfacing comes from C-funds that are distributed by the Charleston County Transportation Committee. With approval from the city, Charleston County Public Works administers a county-wide resurfacing contract that includes city streets.

Should you observe a street or sidewalk issue that you feel is a safety/hazardous matter, please report your concern through the Charleston Citizen Services Desk below:

How Should I Report A New Issue/Request?

  1. Submit a Request Online – click HERE to report your concern or question online. Be sure and provide as much information as possible regarding location and problem. A picture is also very helpful.
  2. Or By Phone: (843) 724-7311

How To Check On Or Get A Status Update On A Previously Reported Issue?

  • Go to Citizen Support Center HERE
  • Email the Citizen Services Desk HERE

Upcoming Events

Don’t miss a thing.

Island News

Announcements and Happenings