Celebrate Our Country, Our Freedom, and Our Nation’s Birthday by making Daniel Island one of the “Most Patriotic Towns in America.” Paint the Town Red, White, and Blue, and join us for Daniel Island’s Independence Day festivities on Sunday, July 2nd with neighbors, friends, and family.
Dress up your homes, your businesses, your bikes, and your golf carts with patriotic colors, and take part in our island tradition of honoring this wonderful holiday.
Preliminary Event Timeline:
- 3:15 – 3:45 pm Golf Cart Parade line-up begins at Bishop England High School.
- 4:00 pm Sharp – The parade proceeds to Daniel Island Drive and continues to Daniel Island School parking lot at DI Drive and Purcell Street
- 4:00 – 5:15 pm – Smythe Park Charleston Concert Band – patriotic concert on the back lawn stage/tent.
- 5:30 – 6:00 pm – Kazoobie Kazoo Show – back lawn stage
- 6:15 – 7:00 pm – Shag Dance Lessons with Hall of Fame Shag Dancer, Kae Childs
- 6:00 – 7:15 pm East Coast Party Band
- 7:00 pm – Contestants for Shag Dance Competition meet at the area in front of The Main Stage
- 7:15 – 7:45 pm – Shag Dance Competition with prizes for 1st, 2nd & 3rd Place.
- 7:45 – 9:00 pm – East Coast Party Band
You are invited to bring your picnic baskets or support your local businesses and purchase from a selection of food trucks:
- Chow Bella
- Johnny Focaccia
- Bits & Bites
- Roti Rolls
- King of Pops
- Holy City Popcorn
- Pure Fluff – cotton candy
- Holy City Italian Ice
- East Coast Chimney Cakes
- Beanie Bakes
- Charleston Valet/Open Bar – Mocktails & Lemonade
- Kona Ice
- Two Rhodes Bakery
Shag Dance Lessons and Dance Competition –
Don’t know how to Shag Dance but always wanted to learn? Now’s your chance. Hall of Fame Shag Dancer, Kae Childs, will be on-site to teach you the beginning steps. Pre-registering is recommended but not required.
Email email@example.com to reserve your spot. On-site reservations will be at the front entrance to the park at the information booth. Complimentary lessons are from 6:15 – 7:00 pm on the back-lawn stage, followed by a Shag Dance Competition in front of the main stage from 7:15 – 7:45 pm.
- SureFire Entertainment – Stilt Walking, Unicycle Act, Flame eating, Juggling
- Soap Bubble Circus – including the Bubble Trike
- Yonts the Magician
Patriotic Parade Info:
The parade starts at the Bishop England High School parking lot (by sports fields) and finishes at Daniel Island Drive & Purcell Street. Everyone is invited to participate in the parade. Participants need to arrive for the line-up between 3:15 pm – 3:45 pm. The parade will start at 4:00 pm sharp.
Parade Traffic Alert: There will be intermittent street closures on July 2nd for the Daniel Island Annual Patriotic Parade from 3:45–4:30 pm (approximate time). The City of Charleston Police Department will coordinate and execute the street closure process. This is a rolling closure, meaning as soon as the parade passes, the police will reopen the streets. Please see the parade route below:
Leave from Bishop England High School Parking Lot and will end at the Daniel Island Drive & Purcell Lane intersection. Further details on the parade route will be provided once finalized. Immediately following the parade, there will be two back-to-back lakeside concerts at Smythe Park. We will be using the Daniel Island School parking lots as well as street parking for all event parking.
We appreciate your patience during this time for us to have a safe passage for our parade participants/residents during this annual event.
Fireworks: We are disappointed to inform you that the City of Charleston will no longer allow a firework show at this event due to safety concerns with the proximity of homes and businesses (this prohibition includes City-owned parks on Daniel Island). Please note that the Daniel Island CC&Rs, as well as the City of Charleston Ordinance Sec. 13-191 prohibits the use, sale, possession, and discharge of any fireworks within the City of Charleston. Fireworks displays must be conducted by a licensed operator with a permit issued by the City of Charleston.